Thursday, July 21, 2005

A mountain out of a molehill

Following our recent promotions, my fellow colleague and I had decided to treat the staff we worked with as a gesture of appreciation of the support we'd received throughout the course of our job. Nothing fancy....most staff had requested for pizza and Kentucky Fried Chicken...with the office being located in the same vicinity as Mid-Valley, the request was no issue at all.

I'd sent out the invite, requesting for RSVPs so that we could guage how many people we'd eventually had to order for. Was pissed to receive the following response:

From: RM
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 1:02 PM
To: munsta

Subject: Queries on lunch treat

May I know why we should confirm attendance. Never heard of this before - invite for lunch treat but hv to confirm attendance. Is this sincere treat from you guys or not?

What if we confirm the attendance but unable to turn up on that day due to unforeseen circumstances?

My suggestion : if you were to cater from outside, both floors of GFN is 40 staff, just order for 35-40 pax, not many of us eat that alot (thru my exprience ordering for dept event) and most of the staff is muslim, so you've got to understand the importance of ensuring the food is HALAL ya?

That's all, thanks.

RM
Secretary
Director, Group Finance


*****
Oh Miss High and Mighty!!! I was offended because:
  • Implication that the invite was not sincere
  • That even though we were from management level, she seemed to be of the opinion that my colleague and I were not capable of organising a simple event
  • Implication that we were insensitive to other people's dietary requirements
  • I don't like being talked down to...and if I were in a mean mood, I'd retort "Seriously...who do you think you are? Do remember that you are merely the secretary to the Group Finance director, and not the Group Finance director himself!!!" (Note: this does not mean that I think it is OK for people of high rank to be condescending as such...in fact, such behaviour merely reflects your individual class, regardless of whatever awesome, important position you hold in society)

Anyways, apart from being downright rude, she was displaying skills which would put any decent secretary to shame - i.e. lack of language skills and diplomacy, as well as ignorance of basic social etiquette (yeah rite...you tell me that she has never had to RSVP on behalf of the Group Finance Director?) puhleez....

Incensed by the e-mail, I was tempted to respond on the spot, but common sense got the better of me and I decided to take a breather from the office...popped out for lunch to clear my head a little. When I got back to my desk, decided that I would not sink to her level and briskly typed the following reply:

From: munsta
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 1:55 PM
To: RM

Subject: RE: Queries on lunch treat

noted...of course all are welcome...no worries, food will be halal :)

Sigh...me thinks am being too nice...but really, this incident is far too petty. Having whinged enuff now....

Not let minor irritants bother me I shall...remain calm and wise I will...a happier life I will live!

1 Comments:

At 5:44 pm, Blogger munsta said...

yeah, i know...she's just one of those ppl who make it a mission to be nasty in life....macam-macam ada

 

Post a Comment

<< Home