Sunday, July 31, 2005

Helplessness

I could not sleep well yesterday.....I spent a good part of the night tossing and turning in bed thinking about death...and even when I had dozed off, my intermittent dreams revolved around tragedy.

Yesterday evening at about 5:45PM - 6:00PM, a 10-year old girl drowned in the adult's section of the swimming pool in the condominium I live in.

Having to attend a dinner function, I was not around at the time of the tragedy. But an obliging neighbour whom I bumped into in the lift when I was on my way home soon filled me in on the sad event.

Yes...there was no life guard present, as per the norm in many private pools nowadays but contrary to popular belief of drowning tragedies:
  1. The victim was closely supervised by her dad
  2. There were many able swimmers and people around (apparently there was a pool-side party going on at that point in time) who rendered as much assistance as they could to try save the girl
From hearsay, I was informed that the girl had been sucked underwater for 15 minutes by a strong pump in the pool and could not be freed despite desperate rescue attempts by 4 big men. When she was finally extracted from the pool, all CPR attempts were futile.

The death troubles me, even though I have no idea which unfortunate neighbour's daughter this is at the moment...chances are I have not even met the girl before.

The many who were on hand trying to save her life and those who had witnessed the event must feel even more haunted so by the tragedy.

But can you feel the helplessness shrouding the father of the child - while trying to save her, he has to watch her thrash and fight for her life, only to go limp in his arms when she has no choice but to succumb to the claws of Death claiming her soul. Having to battle with his sorrow, he also has to cope with the difficult task of breaking the news to his family....it is all very heart breaking and sad.

My deepest condolences to the family.

Perhaps it is true, as quoted by a dear friend of mine who had recorded her final words on tape to be played to us pals who were not in Penang when she departed us about 10 years ago:

"Look at it this way, I feel privileged that God has made bigger plans for me. He has selected me to be your guardian angel to watch you from above."

2 Comments:

At 12:40 pm, Blogger Dilip Mutum said...

Your post has me worried. I sometimes take my daughter (1 year and 8 months) swimming in the adult end of the pool. I am going to stop that from now on.

 
At 5:17 pm, Blogger munsta said...

Yes...do be careful....the exact details are still not known yet as we have not met the family since the incident. I was also very shocked as a 10-year old is far from a little toddler...guess that prevention (regardless of age) is better than cure

 

Post a Comment

<< Home