Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Keeping in touch

This morning, was pleasantly surprised to receive an e-mail from an old schoolmate:

-----Original Message-----
From: BP Chang
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:07 AM
To: munsta
Subject:Free to meet up?

Hi munsta, yeh, am finally back from my holidays...was wondering if you
are free to meet up this weekend?

*****

Having just raised mum's hopes yesterday that I might be popping back to Penang quickly this weekend, I hesitantly replied:

-----Original Message-----
From: munsta
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:10 AM
To: BP Chang
Subject:RE: Free to meet up?

am not sure about this weekend yet...may have to make a quick trip back to pg..will keep u updated!

*****

Her next mail shocked me:

-----Original Message-----
From: BP Chang
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:15 AM
To: munsta
Subject:RE: Free to meet up?

aiyah..then, i'll just have to cut to the chase then since i don't have
enough time here...I'm leaving for Sydney on 9th of Sept...yeh, for good
(for now). Have tendered last friday. Tot of catching up with you before
i go off....

*****

SYDNEY!!??!! THAT'S MIGHTY FAR!!!!!!!!!!! WHY???This was way out of the blue???? so cautiously, I sent:

-----Original Message-----
From: munsta
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:19 AM
To: BP Chang
Subject:RE: Free to meet up?

Oh Shoot!!

Quick questions, only if u feel comfortable replying lar:

1. Why? -should i be excited and happy for you??
2. When will u be in KL till/ going back to Penang?
3. When is ur last day with Co A in KL?

*****

Heaved a sigh of relief when I received her answer:

-----Original Message-----
From: BP Chang
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:31 AM
To: munsta
Subject:RE: Free to meet up?

Answers in similar order

bf is there,study and work. Yes, you should be happy and excited for
me..:D
Won't be going back to Penang. Have done that last week. Next weekend,
have a family gathering. Hence, that leaves me with this weekend to
catch up with you...
not sure when is my last day yet...will find out today but i'm guessing
it'll be on 30/8.

*****

Of course, I am happy for her...but despite that, something in me feels uneasy....

You see, BP and I have been close friends since our secondary school days. If I sometimes come across as sacarstic/ mean...well, it shows that I've picked up quite a thing or two from her...in school, she had a reputation for a tongue which was sharp and quick...nevertheless, after SPM, I guess she's mellowed down quite a lot. Whereas I've still retained most of my tom-boyish traits, BP has blossomed into a lovely girl.


I was in KL for college whereas she stayed on in Penang for STPM; I headed to UK whereas she won a scholarship (with no bond!) to Sydney University; somehow...in those days, the only times we communicated were through isolated e-mails (I think we could probably count the number of mails on both our hands!!) and my once-off visit to Sydney with my boyfriend back at the turn of the century. The amazing thing was that when we did meet up in Sydney, it was as if we'd never been apart! Conversation was just so easy...and we'd just pick up from where we'd have left....catching up and filling in the blanks in each others' lives....

Its been easily 3 to 4 years now since the two of us have been back working in cosmopolitan KL. And yet, we hardly meet up. Even ringing one another isn't such a common occasion. There were always excuses...boyfriends, work, families, other commitments etc. And when we did see each other, we'd always part vowing to improve at keeping in touch.

*sigh* i think we've both acknowledged that we're crap at maintaining friendships so that it is just as good that we're both equally forgiving of one another's lack of effort! *grin*

....but i feel sad. I know I will miss her. Despite the lack of contact after our secondary school years, I just can't help feeling sad about losing a close friend who has been for the past few years, just a convenient phone call away.

Note: Before anyone leaves any sarkie comments, I am fully aware of the convenience of international phone calls and e-mail, but my emotions are rarely rational, ok!? plus...technology can't really replace spontaneous episodes of "Let's meet up at the mamak/ mall/ cafe" ...*sigh*

2 Comments:

At 2:30 pm, Blogger Aurora said...

I just "lost" a friend recently too, to a greater cause - her PHD studies in Hawaii (!!!). I brought forward my trip back to Peninsular from Kuching, had to pay penalty of course but it was a RM135 well spent to see her off at the airport. I'd given her a dress as a farewell gift. Zephrina isn't the kind of girl who broadcasts to the whole world that she loves you and all that, but, when she saw me, the first thing she said was: "BTW, I brought your dress along." Wow. How much more profound can you get? Anyway, I'm glad for her that she's gone to pursue her true calling, and I'm sure your friend will find hers too. We all do, eventually :)

 
At 2:44 pm, Blogger munsta said...

Yes...I think once it has sunk in, I'll begin to feel less sentimental...

Its just that this was so unexpected!!! Her bf was supposedly posted in Qatar on an engineering project for 2 years!!!
And suddenly, its sydney now??

Heheheheh...but as long as she is happy...I think that's what matters most to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home